Thursday, June 3, 2010

There comes a time in a person's life when it's now or never. It's now or never.*

So I've started reading Robert McKee's Story and three chapters in he's making a big point about about story being important (who knew?).

Ideas are not a problem for me. I'm full of them. Ideas for movies, TV shows, stories, iPhone apps, shops, songs, sandwiches. I can think of a dozen characters and scenarios right now. The problem? Are any of them any good? (Hey, i said I had ideas, I didn't say they were good). Sometimes I've started to write a story and found it would only last 100 words, other times I've realised my short story has no end in sight. I have to figure out which of my ideas are movie worthy and which are not. That's hurdle number one.

Hurdle number two is what type of movie am I going to write? Is it going to be a real "Australian" movie or something that can be set anywhere? If it's set in Australia it will severely limit what I can do. Australia loves big blockbuster movies, but they don't get made here... Ok, they're *made* here but they're not Australian movies. They're Melbourne-standing-in-for-Houston/Boston/Matrix movies. If I write a movie that's very Australian, it will be easier to get people to read it, but it probably won't be seen by many people if it ever got off the ground. If I
write something that can be set anywhere, it may be easier to make, but getting it read will be difficult. Then there's which style i focus on. Family Dramadey? Sci-fi Actioner? Fantasy Thriller? Historical? I have ideas that fit all of those, and more, but I'm having trouble choosing one. Do I write what I know (which is not a lot) or let my imagination run wild? I don't feel like I'm that close to any ONE genre. For example, here are a few of my favourite movies:

Serenity
Pretty in Pink
Labyrinth
The Princess Bride
Empire Records
Shawshank Redemption
Ocean's Eleven

I have no idea which way I want to go!

My mission for tonight: Write down a basic premise for each of the ideas I
think could work.


* Harris - LA Story

No comments:

Post a Comment